DC Jobs With Justice (DC JWJ) is a coalition of labor unions, community organizations, faith institutions, and student organizations dedicated to protecting and advancing the rights of working people in the DC metropolitan area. DC JWJ has helped win a precedent-setting minimum wage increase in DC, as well as led various campaigns to hold large corporations accountable to DC communities. In the past we have worked on a range of issues, from labor law to health care; from union organizing campaigns to immigrant rights. Please see www.dcjwj.org for more information.
DC JWJ is hiring an organizer to support the organization’s labor campaigns, worker solidarity organizing and just pay coalition. The ideal candidate will excel at developing and implementing strategic campaigns, building and maintaining relationships, and building consensus among diverse stakeholders with different priorities to enable effective work together on a common goal. This person will be a team player, excited about the role of unions and coalitions in social change, and committed to justice in Washington, DC.
The position will report to the Organizing Director of DC Jobs With Justice.
Coordinate and facilitate coalition campaigns to promote economic, racial, and social justice in Washington, DC by working with members and allies to develop campaign strategy and plans.
- ● Convene coalition meetings on a regular basis to develop campaign strategy
- Oversee strategy implementation among coalition members
- Mobilize and develop infrastructure to support ongoing activities
- Assess and develop campaigns targeting bad corporate actors with the coalition
- Represent the coalition’s positions and demands to government officials including DC Council and District agencies
- Develop internal and external written materials
- Meet with coalition members to vet and assess new campaigns
Strengthen participation of member groups in coalition campaigns and activities. Build mobilization capacity of the organization and grow the activist base.
- ● Maintain relationships with coalition member organizations through 1-on-1 meetings, ongoing communications, and quarterly Steering Committee meetings
- Identify and recruit organizations to join DC JWJ
- Recruit and manage engagement of activists involved in the work of DC JWJ
- Coordinate standing and one-time events for our supporters
- Maintain communications infrastructure to deepen engagement of the activist base
- Develop original training material for coalition members and conduct workshops to build the JWJ activist base
Ensure regular communication of DC JWJ activities to member groups, activists, and the general public. Build the organization’s presence in the media and in social media.
- Maintain regular communication with various segments of the JWJ activist base via Action Network emails, events, fundraisers
- Maintain social media accounts and the DC JWJ website
- Compile stories from our base to be shared via our communications platforms
- Support as needed with annual fundraising efforts
- Develop written materials for the organization
- Outstanding leadership skills and the ability to connect with and build effective teams of diverse partners across the community.
- A strong commitment to and understanding of social justice and/or the labor movement.
- Demonstrated interest in developing campaign strategy, managing campaigns, and/or coalition building.
- The ability to develop and implement an organizational vision.
- A willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Enthusiasm for building relationships across DC’s communities.
- Motivated self-starter able to learn and solve problems without heavy supervision.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, database management systems, and WordPress
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
- Bilingual in Spanish.
- Graphic design experience.
- Familiarity with DC Government, agencies, and legislative process.
Term of employment: This is a full-time position that falls within a bargaining unit represented for collective bargaining purposes by a labor organization (NPEU/Local 70, IFPTE).
Location: DC JWJ currently works a hybrid remote/in person model, all staff must be able to be in the office in Washington DC at least two days a week.
Compensation: $46,000 – $56,000
Benefits: fully paid health and dental benefit, generous leave policy
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the positions will be filled quickly. Please email your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently cited statistics show that people of color, women, trans, and non-binary people, as well as other structurally marginalized groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. DC JWJ encourages you to break that statistic and to apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications
DC Jobs With Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people of color, native Washingtonians, graduates of DC public schools, women, LGBTQ, and differently-abled people to apply.