Position Description: DC JWJ Organizer
One Year, Full Time
DC Jobs With Justice (DC JWJ) is a coalition of labor unions, community organizations, faith institutions, and student organizations dedicated to protecting and advancing the rights of working people in the DC metropolitan area. DC JWJ has helped win a precedent-setting minimum wage increase in DC, as well as led various campaigns to hold large corporations accountable to DC communities. In the past we have worked on a range of issues, from labor law to health care; from union organizing campaigns to immigrant rights. Please see www.dcjwj.org for more information.
DC JWJ is seeking an Organizer to support the organization’s campaigns and programmatic work. The ideal candidate will excel at developing and implementing strategic campaigns, building and maintaining relationships, and building consensus among diverse stakeholders with different priorities to enable effective work together on a common goal. This person will be a team player, excited about the role of unions and coalitions in social change, and committed to justice in Washington, DC.
For this position, DC JWJ will give priority to candidates who either have the ability to speak Spanish or Amharic, OR have experience and interest in communications.
This position will report directly to the Executive Director of DC Jobs With Justice. The position is available for one year which will begin on the employee’s start date. The position may be extended based on funding availability.
Coordinate and facilitate coalition campaigns to promote economic, racial, and social justice in Washington, DC by working with members and allies to develop campaign strategy and plans.
Strengthen participation of member groups in coalition campaigns and activities. Build mobilization capacity of the organization and grow the activist base.
Ensure regular communication of DC JWJ activities to member groups, activists, and the general public. Build the organization’s presence in the media and in social media.
• Outstanding leadership skills and the ability to connect with and build effective teams of diverse partners across the community.
• A strong commitment to and understanding of social justice and/or the labor movement.
• Demonstrated interest in developing campaign strategy, managing campaigns, and/or coalition building.
• The ability to develop and implement an organizational vision.
• A willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
• Enthusiasm for building relationships across DC’s communities.
• Motivated self-starter able to learn and solve problems without heavy supervision.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, database management systems, and WordPress
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
• Bilingual in Spanish.
• Communications and/or graphic design experience.
• Familiarity with DC Government, agencies, and legislative process.
Term of employment: This is a full-time, exempt position for one year.
Compensation: $39,000 – 43,000 fully paid health, dental, and vision coverage, retirement plan, and generous leave policy
Applications are due on May 3, however they will be considered on a rolling basis. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references with emails and phone numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DC Jobs With Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ, and differently-abled people to apply.