DC Jobs With Justice (DC JWJ) is a coalition of labor unions, community organizations, faith institutions, and student organizations dedicated to protecting and advancing the rights of working people in the DC metropolitan area. DC JWJ has helped win a precedent-setting minimum wage increase in DC, as well as led various campaigns to hold large corporations accountable to DC communities. In the past we have worked on a range of issues, from labor law to health care; from union organizing campaigns to immigrant rights. Please see www.dcjwj.org for more information.
DC JWJ is seeking an Organizing Director to oversee staff as well as manage a limited portfolio of campaign responsibilities. The ideal candidate has experience managing organizers and will excel at supporting their leadership as well as developing and implementing strategic campaigns. This person will be a team player, excited about the role of unions and coalitions in social change, and committed to justice in Washington, DC.
This position will report directly to the Executive Director of DC Jobs With Justice.
Staff management: (50% of time) Provide direct supervision to DC JWJ’s 4 organizing staff to support leadership development, campaign development, work planning and activities.
Campaigns: Coordinate and facilitate coalition campaigns to promote economic, racial, and social justice in Washington, DC by working with members and allies to develop campaign strategy and plans.
Grants management: Monitor grant spending and track staff activities relative to grant deliverables.
- Two or more years managing staff
- Outstanding leadership skills and the ability to connect with and build effective teams of diverse partners across the community.
- A strong commitment to and understanding of social justice and/or the labor movement.
- Experience in developing campaign strategy, managing campaigns, and/or coalition building.
- The ability to identify goals, determine metrics, and set an organizational vision.
- A willingness to work some irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Enthusiasm for building relationships across DC’s communities.
- Motivated self-starter able to learn and solve problems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, database management systems, and WordPress
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
- Bilingual in Spanish.
- Three or more years experience managing organizers
- Familiarity with DC Government, agencies, and legislative process.
Term of employment: This position is full-time and based in Washington, D.C. working remotely due to COVID-19.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $60,000 – 68,000. Benefits include 100% medical and dental coverage, generous paid leave, and an employer contribution to retirement fund.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references with emails and phone numbers to email@example.com .
DC Jobs With Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people of color, native Washingtonians, graduates of DC public schools, women, LGBTQ, and differently-abled people to apply.