Fifteen years ago, a small group of courageous labor leaders and community volunteers united to help local parking garage attendants win a union contract and sustainable, improved working conditions. Through their vision, DC Jobs with Justice was born along with the mission to protect and advance the rights of DC area workers.
On 10.15.15, our community will come together to celebrate 15 years of DC Jobs with Justice at our annual fundraiser, the I’ll Be There Awards! This year’s event will be the biggest, most inspiring evening we’ve hosted because….
1) We will honor and “roast” the career of our visionary founder, President Joslyn Williams of the Metropolitan Washington Labor Council, AFL-CIO!
2) We will honor the incredible impact of local leaders Courtney Stewart, Reverend Kendrick Curry, and Jean-Louis Ikambana! Talk about major community leaders developing the leadership and dignity of our local youth, returning citizens, and Black communities!!!
3) Eugene Puryear and Tiffany Flowers of the Stop Police Terror Project DC and #BlackLivesMatter are MC’ing this year and well, they’re kind of a big deal!
4) Incredible live performances to lift us up by DC’s very own funk, reggea, rock band Nappy Riddem, and John Harris.
5) Complimentary Shrimp cocktail. Sushi. Empanadas. Cheeses, fruits, chocolate, champagne….. need I say more?
This is a fundraiser event to support the organizing and advocacy work of DC Jobs with Justice! We are asking for a symbolic $30 at the door on the night of the event ($15 to celebrate our first 15 years of work, and $15 to support our next 15 years of work!) However, we will accept donations of any size – large and small at the door and NO ONE will be denied entrance regardless of ability to donate. We will accept cash, check, or credit card donations. This is an inclusive, grassroots event and all are welcome to celebrate with us! If you like to donate now, you may both rsvp and donate here today: bit.ly/Bethere2015
Lastly, if you or your organization is interested in volunteering, sponsoring, or placing an ad in our program book, please email Executive Director, Nikki Lewis no later than 9/25/15 at email@example.com or text at 202-674-2872. Deadlines for sponsorship and ads is Monday Oct 2.
DC JWJ thanks our Event Partners for their tremendous support in sustaining our work: